Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Eve Adventure

I had an adventure of sorts on Christmas Eve.

Just as I was pulling out of my apartment (I hadn't gone 50 feet), I saw what looked like white steam come out of the right side front corner of the hood of my car. With memories of having seen this in the past (in other cars), I stopped and opened the hood and peeped around.

Two things caught my attention (a) My coolant tank was bone dry (b) The air filter and some other parts had green fluid sprayed on them. Meant I had a massive cooling system leak somewhere. The next question was where. We poked around the engine and found that the upper radiator hose had developed a large rip in it and hence the source of the leak.

Finding a replacement for this on Christmas eve was tricky, but luckily it wasn't 5pm as yet. (It was 4:15). So we went looking for a replacement. Two stores said they would have to order it in, while the third one had one in stock. Armed with the replacement hose, new clamps, new coolant, we returned to the car, replaced the hose and refilled the coolant. At 5:30 we were done and the car was returned to regular operation. Oh, and it took 1.2 gallons of coolant to refill the radiator.

Whoop! Yay! for being able to notice the leak in the day time, Yay! for it happening close to my apt and not in the middle of a highway, Yay! for it happening in town and where I have people whom I could call upon for help.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: