Saturday, June 08, 2013

Moving to Android: Part-2: Notifications, Emails and Flashlight mode

This is a series of posts where I look at my experiences in moving from a Nokia Symbian device to a Google Nexus 4 running Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean).

[Flashlight Mode] So every Nokia device to date has had some sort of flashlight option. I use this every night when I take a walk to my mailbox. So is there a flashlight mode/option/switch? Nope, but there's an app (or 200) for that. Ok, I went to the app store, and found one called "Simple Torch". Does what its supposed to do, no mess, no fuss. This is good.

[Email accounts] This was quite a breeze. Add account, give it the account type and credentials and about 5 minutes later, my Yahoo and my own domain hosted email accounts were synced. Great!
Wait, my domain hosted email would only partially sync ... every so often it would die with an "Unfortunately, email has stopped" notification. Looking online, I realized that this "has stopped" is Android terminology for the application has crashed. I've managed to crash my device 4 times in the first week?

[Missed call/text Notification] Oops, I got a text message back from a friend, but I didn't realize that she had sent me a text message. Strange, every Nokia device has had by default, some sort of flashing/blinking notification for missed calls/messages/emails. How do I set that up on this? You can't. Android doesn't have a way of notifying you without you turning on the screen.... except, wait, there's an app for that. There's an app called "Light Flow" that does allow you to make your phone's notification LED blink (in multiple colors!). Ok, this is good! I got Light Flow installed.

No comments: