Saturday, June 08, 2013

Moving to Android : Part- 4 : Battery Life

This is a series of posts where I describe my experiences in moving from a Nokia Symbian device to a Google Nexus 4 running Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean).
===========

At 8:30am one morning, my phone had 100% charge on it. I used for about 20 minutes that day. At 4:00pm, it was at 13% and screaming at me to plug it in... This is terrible! My Nokia used to give me 3 days of battery life, this phone can't last one working day without a lot of usage??
Surprise! there's an app for that.. I was recommended one called "Juice defender", which promises to improve battery life primarily by turning off radios when not in use. Really? does it really take an external app to tell the OS that if its not supporting a data transfer it could turn the Wifi/GPRS radios off? Anyway, with Juice defender, my battery life has improved! I can now come home at 7pm and still have 50% battery life. This is much much better!

Another day, I took to a baseball game - when I left home at 5pm, I had 95% charge. I used the GPS device to navigate me to the stadium. During the game, I took a bunch of pictures (no flash), browsed the web a bit and sent two text messages. I then used the GPS to bring me home (more on that in another post)... When I got home at 10:30pm, my battery was at 10% and the phone was crying bloody murder at running its battery so low.
Two 30 minute GPS guided commutes, 20 pictures and 2 text messages = over 75% of the battery gone? This is just sad coming from the Nokia world of Symbian.

I'm also starting to notice a trend here, "there's an app" for a lot of the stuff. However, coming from the Symbian world, I have to ask "You need an app for that?" Its just weird to see so many of the functions that I'm used to the OS providing, not being available and having to depend on a third party to develop. There are pros and cons to this - so I won't make a call either way other than to say its weird...

No comments: